04 May 2009

uncertainty and curiosity.


Time for some reading and researching at AHO. I feel right at home in Ane’s studio- surrounded by models, trace and prismas! I feel especially lucky that when I decide to ‘take a break’ and wander around AHO I am studying the adaptive reuse work of Jarmund/Vigsnæs (Ane has just been hired for a position in JVA’s office for the summer and fall!). I spend the day in the library pulling out books and articles on adaptive reuse and the influence of time on buildings. As usual, I am inspired by the incredible writing of Juhani Pallasmaa. Today I read from Encounters:

“In this regard, I could say that I do not believe that one could, or even should, plan one’s life; life is an open-ended process where one thing leads to the next, and the most enjoyable and rewarding moments are the ones that you never imagined in advance. This applies also to design work and writing
; the joy does not arise from doing things you know, but from discovering things you have never considered. I feel that there is too much sentimentality over creative freedom. In my view, living and working is more a matter of seeing your way through from one impulse to the next, maintaining your basic sense of uncertainty and curiosity ….that enables you to move in any direction.”

Reading this I felt as Juhani was writing just to me, here in Norway, experiencing this amazing opportunity. As I am working through ideas of my architecture thesis ‘from one impulse to the next’ I am constantly reminded of keeping my uncertainty
and curiosity. I am ever grateful to the Valle Scholarship for giving me the chance to live out this time of creative freedom and discovery.

Ane works on her studio project, a crematorium.

No comments:

Post a Comment