01 May 2009

from A to Å


Whether it be on a walk (ut på tur !), while having brødskiver or over long dinner conversations I have been immersing myself in learning about Norway. Looking back on my first few weeks I find the informal conversations regarding health care, education, language, geography and politics have taught me an unbelievable amount already. Norwegians are so enthusiastic and willing to discuss Norway’s history, environment and language. Although I have been reading and researching it has really been the wealth of knowledge from Norwegian friends and new acquaintances that has provided me with invaluable lessons. After a particularly lively and informative discussion of the Sami people, the sound “sj” or “kj” makes, or the bunad worn on syttede mai, Ane will exclaim, “That’s at least half of credit for the UW!”

An American friend and UW graduate, David, is now living and working here in Norway. Between David and Ane I’ve gained a great base in Norwegian language studies. They have both been especially patient as I practice the three new vowels. I realize now I can understand basic speech and will sometimes find myself eavesdropping in a café or on the tram- just to test myself! Learning the intonation and lilting quality of Norwegian speech has been particularly fascinating. Everyday acts as simple as reading street signs and menus are becoming so much more effortless- feels like progress! In the evenings I have been listen
ing to two different conversational Norwegian programs. I enjoy falling asleep to the introductory phrases ‘Hei! Hva heter du?’ and ‘Hvordan kommer jeg til togstasjonen?’ I dream of å, ø and æ !


No comments:

Post a Comment