06 May 2009

Architecture is made for us_thesis thoughts


My thesis topic centers around time and use. Or more specifically, buildings designed with a long life in mind and ever-changing use. I initially proposed my thesis topic to be 'Adaptive Architecture: Sustainability, Flexibility by design'. I am interested in challenging the convention of new construction and understanding the value of building reuse. Through my research in Scandinavia and in Seattle I hope to uncover answers to the following questions:
How can a building be designed to adapt?

As users and functions change, how does design and construction 'give' to change?
How does the reuse of the existing built fabric contribute to issues of sustain
ability, both environmental and cultural?

It is my intention that the thesis project will analyze and implement design strategies that can increase building flexibility and begin to understand the cultural/environmental value in building longevity.

With all this in mind, I have begun to ask myself, "Who is architecture made for?" Is it made for us, right now? Is it made for future generations? Is it made for architectural magazines, or critics? As I was mulling this over I came across the following poem by Jose Selgas and Lucia Cano. It answered my question perfectly: Architecture is made for us.

A Rose With Teeth


Mirror
Who is architecture made for? What sort of person, if that is not too much to define at this stage? Does it matter? For children, for old people, for the blind, f
or the fat, for the introverted, for people with high heels, for people who spit on the ground, for 40 year olds, for peoplewithapoliticaloutlook, for our mother, for friend of Catulus, for people whohaveneverreadawholebook, for exiles, for us? , for Leonard Zelig?
That we are sure of: for us. Us reading, u
s eating, us hurting....


No comments:

Post a Comment